Arturo Álvarez is an established recognized creator both inside and outside of Spain, by his conceptual contributions to the world of design lightening. He was born in Pontevedra, Spain, in 1964. From the beginning he develops an own style with strong personality. He handles shapes, volumes and light sources fluently in a simple and elegant way, masterfully mixing them and bringing a new vision of creative lighting, coming to conceive in the spaces surprising scenographic and light staging. Currently he continues to explore different lines of work and expression.
In the early nineties he gets interested in the flat glass and learns the techniques of stained glass and tiffany for making lamps. He starts creating luminaries, from ancient techniques, but with a language of its time, contemporary, with Art deco and Art nouveu touches. Over the years he walks and identifies with the Bauhaus concepts of joining and reviewing shapes, volumes, prospects and plans to a careful craftwork.
There are three defined times in the career of Arturo Alvarez. In the early years he explores and works with figurative concepts based on nature. In a second time he progresses toward abstraction exploring simple geometric shapes without abandoning references to nature, it appears the female body, a theme that is repeated and which he keeps on researching along the years. Arturo Álvarez is currently developing new forms of expression, with light as his guiding thread and with the human being and its relations as the main subject, with its lights and shadows, encounters and missed encounters, issues of concern and he deepens from different techniques.
In the last ten years he has been conducting a comprehensive experimental and research work to develop his own materials that allow him a more creative freedom and expressiveness. He takes them out of their common uses, mixing them and transforming them into something new and unique. He creates and patents SIMETECH®, a translucent material which can be molded to obtain different textures.
– Artwork series. ICFF Gallery. ICFF. New York. 2017
– 12 looks of Arturo Álvarez. Galería Vilaseco. A Coruña. Spain. 2016
– Arts & Crafts, Design and Sustainbility in Galicia for the 21st Century. Centro Torrente Ballester. Ferrol. Spain. 2016
– Contradicións. Adhoc gallery. Vigo. Spain. 2015
– Et facta est lux. Mac Gas natural fenosa. A Coruña. Spain. 2014
– Permanent installation at cafetería Ferradura. Santiago de Compostela. Spain. 2013
– Ephemeral installation at “Hostal dos Reis Catolicos”. Santiago de Compostela. Spain. 2013
– Eros. Bus Station Space. Santiago de Compostela. Spain. 2013
– Factoría Compostela. Spain. 2011
– Concepts and designs for a new century. Museum of Decorative Arts in Barcelona. 2007
AWARDS AND MENTIONS
– BEST OF YEAR AWARD by Interior Design Magazine, Innovative Translucent Shading/Lighting Solution. SIMETECH®. New York. 2014
– HD Product Design Competition. Las Vegas, Lighting. 2013
– Spanish Avant-garde Craft, Innovation and Design. 2013
– Spanish Avant-garde Craft, Innovation and Design in contemporary craft industries. 2011
– National Craft Awards Finalist. 2011
– Singular.es. 2010
– The Chicago Athenaeum. Museum of Architecture and Design. Good Design, Fluo. 2009
– The Chicago Athenaeum. Museum of Architecture and Design. Good Design, Gea. 2008
– Spanish National Craft Awards Finalist. 2008
– New Light Design, Daab. 2009